Training Programs >> Tune-Up Training Runs
Free TUNE-UP TRAINING RUNS for 2015 Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon & Half
The Tune-Up Run program is designed to give you four opportunities to hook up with other runners (and walkers) to train for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon.
Each run also offers a brief talk before you head out from one of the race organizers or from a special guest. They will provide tips and info, and after the run, free drinks for participants will be offered.
Whether you're training on your own or in a Running Room Clinic, the Tune-Up runs will provide you with a GREAT opportunity to come out and go for an easy training run with a bunch of folks training for October 18 as well.
The runs will also be led by some of the official STWM Pacers who'll be running with you on race day so you can meet them ahead of time so you know who to look for at the start line!
Tune-Up Run #1:
- Date: Sunday June 7
- Location: High Park Running Room — 2100 Bloor St. West, Toronto
- Distances: Marathon Training: 10k / Half Marathon: 7k
- Maps: View here
- Special Guest: We're excited to announce that CRS Star Sami Jibril will be joining us at the High Park Running Room for our first STWM Tune-Up Training Run!
Sami's recent accomplishments include 2013 champion at Harry's Spring Run-Off and silver medalist at the 2014 Canadian Half-Marathon Championships! Sami is a member of the Newmarket Huskies and trains with Athletics Toronto.
Tune-Up Run #2:
- Date: Sunday July 12
- Location: Kew Gardens, Toronto
- Distances: Marathon Training: 20k / Half Marathon: 10k / 5k: 5k
- Registration Fee: $30 (HST incl.); $20 of the fee goes directly to the Toronto East General Hospital Foundation
- Register here
Tune-Up Run #3:
- Date: Sunday August 16
- Location: Whitby Running Room — 80 Thickson Rd. South, Whitby
- Distances: Marathon Training: 26k / Half Marathon: 10k
- Maps: View here
Tune-Up Run #4:
- Date: Sunday September 20
- Location: Rosedale Running Room — 1087 Yonge St., Toronto
- Distances: Marathon Training: 23k / Half Marathon: 12k
- Map: View here
Schedule for each run
- 8:00–8:30am — Running Room staff open store — runners & walkers welcome
- 8:20am — Intro & brief talk …with a brief welcome by the Waterfront staff
- 8:30am — Group Runs & Walks
- After run & walk — come back into the Running Room for water & Gatorade
Responsibility of Runners
- Know the distance you should go that day
- Have your own watch if planning to keep track of run time
- Carry fluid (if fountains are along a planned route, it will be noted with route info, but for any run over 40 minutes, bring your own fluid).
Running Room stores have numerous routes already mapped out from their individual stores. If you want to check Tune-Up Run routes and print them out in advance, see the Dates & Locations schedule above. Maps will be posted one (1) week prior to the tune-up run date.
Pacing... we follow schedules that have graduated long run distances but for pacing we recommend you use a GPS watch, a heart rate monitor where you keep to a 70-75% of your max, or the old 'talk test' method where you run at a pace that allows you to speak in a conversational way (not a broken up speech pattern)… the fitter you are, the faster you can go and speak in a conversational way.
Please indicate the runs you will be attending so we know how many people to expect.
Separate registration required for #2, Beaches Jazz Tune-Up Training Run, July 12: See event website for details.